baked cherries with a chocolate. coconut and almond crumble
Gluten Free. Vegan. Dairy Free.
photos by Morgan Ione Yeager
"I know it's not quite cherry season yet but i had an 'out of the blue' crazy cherry craving the other day and these little pots of goodness were born! They are gluten and dairy free BUT if you eat dairy, a killer addition would be a scoop of creamy goats cheese on top, right when they come out of the oven so it melts... Or if you like it raw, simply cut up some fresh cherries, mix the dry ingredients together, add a little raw honey, even some slices of banana and enjoy!"
INGREDIENTS: (serves 2)
4 cups frozen cherries
1 big tbsp cacao powder
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup raw almonds (you can use oats if you want to keep it nut free)
1-2 tbsp honey or 1-2 tbsp coconut sugar
2 tbsp coconut oil
pinch sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C)
- Arrange the cherries in 4 small ramekins and place in the oven for about 15 minutes
- Throw the nuts into a food processor and pulse until chopped but still crunchy
- Add to a bowl with the cacao powder and coconut and mix together
- Melt the honey and coconut oil over low heat until mixed together (or if you are using coconut sugar, melt just the coconut oil and add that plus the dry sugar to the mix)
- Pour into the dry ingredients and mix together
- Pull the cherries out of the oven and evenly spread the mixture on top
- Return to the oven and bake for another 10 mins or until the top is crispy
- Serve with a dollop of coconut cream or goats cheese.