did someone say avocado fries? yep, we did!
Dairy free (contains eggs), Vegetarian
photos by Morgan Ione Yeager
"My husband LOVES to cook. He'll call me all excited from work and tell me that he's come up with an idea and not to do anything as HE is cooking dinner tonight, which is obviously one of the main reasons i married him...
So sadly, i can't take credit for this recipe but i can tell you that hubby totally outdid himself with this one!
Great on their own as a snack or as the chips in "fish and chips". You can even play around with the fries and try using shredded coconut instead of the bread crumbs to make them gluten free or add things like herbs or chili to the mix. They would be delicious with a homemade mango chutney or sweet chilli sauce too... Mmm. Now i'm hungry!"
FOR THE DIP:
7oz1/2 block silken tofu (non gmo and organic)
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp yellow curry powder
pinch sea salt
lemon, lime + orange zest to serve
1 tbsp vegetable oil
FOR THE AVOCADO CHIPS (makes about 12-16)
1 egg white
1/2 cup+ panko bread crumbs
TO MAKE THE FRIES:
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Separate the egg white into a medium sized bowl and the panko into another medium sized bowl
- Peel and cut the avocado into large wedges (about 6-8 per avocado)
- Dip each piece separately in the egg then the panko and place on a flat tray
- Transfer to the fridge for a few minutes to help everything harden
- When ready, brush with a little vegetable oil, sprinkle with salt and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until crispy.
- Serve immediately with sauce of choice.
TO MAKE THE DIP:
- Throw everything but the zest into a food processor until smooth.
- Serve sprinkled with zest.