3 easy peasy nutritious breakfasts featuring quinoa, tahini and chia seeds
Gluten Free. Vegan. Raw. Dairy Free.
Featured on The Chalkboard Mag | photos by Morgan Ione Yeager
CITRUS CASHEW CHIA PUDDING
INGREDIENTS: (Serves 2)
1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
1/2 cup chia seeds
juice of 2 large oranges
zest of 1 orange
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp sweetener- honey or maple - optional
- Soak the chia seeds in a little water until glutinous and "jelly like" (about 5 mins) Transfer to a bowl
- Drain the cashews and transfer to a high speed blender, add the orange and zest and blend well.
- Add to the chia mixture and stir in the coconut, coconut oil and sweetener
- Serve with your favourite homemade crunchy granola (this hazelnut, cacao and orange recipe would be perfect!) or fresh fruit.
- OPTION: Add spices like ginger or cinnamon. Fruit like cranberries or persimmons OR go crazy and add a little fresh basil! Go on, do it!
APPLE, CINNAMON AND VANILLA QUINOA PORRIDGE
INGREDIENTS: (serves 2)
1 cup quinoa
2 apples, grated
1 vanilla bean (or a dash of vanilla extract if you can't find this)
1 cinnamon stick (or 1 tbsp ground cinnamon)
1 tsp+ honey - optional
1 cup homemade cashew milk (1 cup cashews to 3 parts water) OR full fat coconut milk
walnuts or hazelnuts, crushed to serve
- Throw the quinoa, 1/2 the grated apple, the vanilla, cinnamon, honey, 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup of the milk into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stirring to make sure the bottom doesn't burn.
- Cover, turn off the heat and let steam for about 10 minutes
- When ready, add the remaining 1/2 cup of milk and over low heat stir through until thick. Taste test and adjust flavours to suit your taste buds.
- Remove the vanilla and cinnamon.
- Serve with remaining grated apple, your favourite nuts and perhaps a drizzle of honey or pinch of cinnamon.
- OPTION add some cardamom or ginger for a spicy twist!
TAHINI, BANANA + HONEY ON TOAST
Your favourite bread (i love a good sourdough)
tahini (or any nut butter of choice)
honey (or maple if you're vegan)
- I mean, this one really is a no brainer!
- Toast the bread
- Spread the tahini on the toast and then evenly mix a little honey into it
- Place the banana pieces on top and gently "smash" them with a fork
- Enjoy immediately!