the most amazing chocolate 'cookies' you'll ever eat
Dairy free, Gluten free, Vegan
photos by Morgan Ione Yeager
"For those of you wondering "what the hell is a Hedgehog?!" They are a small mammal that are found in parts of Europe, Africa, Asia and New Zealand and are covered in these little spiky things called "spines". When they are provoked or need to defend themselves, the Hedgehog curls up into a small ball causing all of the spines to point outwards...
Now what does that have to do with chocolate you ask? WELL! When i was a kid my friends mum used to make these yummy chocolatey things out of dry noodles (which probably had msg in them!) and she called them Hedgehogs. Earlier in the summer i was thinking about how delicious they used to be and set out to make a more "healthy" version. Cue recipe below!"
I N G R E D I E N T S:
1 cup gluten free oats
3 tbsp peanut butter
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup shredded coconut
3 tbsp coconut oil
2-3 tbsp cacao powder
2 tbsp nut milk
dash of vanilla
pinch sea salt
- Line a tray or plate with baking paper.
- Throw coconut oil, cacao powder, coconut sugar and nut milk into a small saucepan and bring to a boil, watching and making sure it doesn't burn.
- Stir a few times and then remove the pot from the heat.
- Add the peanut butter, coconut, oats, vanilla and salt to the pot and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture onto the baking paper making 6-8 "hogs". (You can also roll the mixture in your hands and make more of a dense "cookie" if you prefer)
- Transfer to the fridge for about an hour or until they are solid and you can pick them up without them breaking apart.
- Try not to eat them all at once!
- *OPTIONS: Try using almond or hazelnut butter instead of peanut. You could possibly switch out the oats for brown rice puffs too. Try it and let me know how you go!