I am thankful for raw spiced pumpkin tarts this thanksgiving
Vegan, Raw, Dairy free, Gluten free
recipe featured on WTf Digital | photos by Morgan Ione Yeager
"tis the season! The crazy, out of control, pumpkins are EVERYWHERE and in EVERYTHING kind of season! Being an Aussie, this pumpkin obsession definitely took some time to get used to. It still shocks me every year how mad people go for these things... pumpkin lattes? really? And the varieties, i can't keep up with them! Pumpkins, winter squash, gourds... Aren't they all the same thing?
I made the terrible mistake a few years ago of thinking exactly that. That all pumpkins were created equal, inviting an American friend of mine over to taste my "delicious pumpkin soup", only to be horrified when it turned out to be so bad that my friend literally spat it out!
I then had a lecture on pumpkins. Apparently they are not all created equal... "
8-10 medjool dates, pitted
1 cup brazil, pecan or walnuts
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp +/- ground ginger
1 tsp +/- all spice
pinch of salt
1 cup butternut squash, cut into cubes with skin off and seeds removed
+ coconut oil for roasting
(you can buy a medium sized squash and use the leftovers in a salad)
1/4 cup pear juice (make sure it's not from concentrate and 100%juice, no added nasties!)
1 tsp +/- ground or fresh ginger
1/2 cup cashew mix below
1 cup cashews, soaked overnight or for at least 3 hrs
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350-400F.
- On a baking tray, evenly lay the pumpkin and brush in coconut oil. Roast in the oven for about 30-40 minutes or until soft. Set aside to cool.
- Make the cashew cream by throwing all ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Throw all of the BASE ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth. Press into a 9" tart tin and place in the fridge.
- Throw all of the TOP ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth.
- Remove the base from the fridge and cover evenly with the pumpkin mix (you will probably have some leftover but that's ok, use it in a smoothie!)
- Transfer to the freezer and freeze overnight.
- When ready to serve, remove from freezer about 20-30 minutes beforehand so it can defrost a little. Serve with a dollop of cashew cream