vegan caeser with homemade croutons
Vegan, Gluten free option
photos by Morgan Ione Yeager
"I'm one of those crazy people that could eat an entire jar of anchovies in one go. I know, I know! To be honest, i think it's the salt content as I can also eat that straight from the jar too...
But never fear, there are no anchovies to be seen in this recipe. It's totally vegan and just as delicious as the regular one, especially with the homemade croutons. The hardest part is not eating them all before they get to the salad!"
I N G R E D I E N T S: (serves 2)
1tbsp dijon mustard
1 oz silken tofu
1 tsp shoyu/tamari
1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1tbsp miso (brown or white)
salt and pepper to taste
1 romaine lettuce
FOR THE CROUTONS:
1/2 loaf of your favourite bread, chopped or torn into 1/2" cubes. My fave is sourdough but you could use a gluten free bread too. Just don't buy it sliced as you want to do that yourself.
- Preheat oven to 425F (220C) and line a baking tray with paper
- Throw the bread cubes into a large bowl and pour a little olive oil over them. Mixing with your hands and adding more until they are well coated.
- Sprinkle with sea salt. Mixing well.
- Bake in the oven for about 10-20 minutes or until they reach your desired crispiness (I like mine quite chewy so I don't leave them in for too long but it's up to you what you like!)
- When ready, pull out of the oven and set aside to cool.
- Wash and roughly chop the romaine lettuce and set aside in a large bowl
- Throw the rest of the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth
- Pour half of the dressing into the bowl with the lettuce and using you hands "massage" though. Add more dressing if you think it needs it.
- Serve with croutons and eat immediately!